Re: /usr/bin/id3 equivalent for Ogg Vorbis

also sprach Derrick 'dman' Hudson <dman@dman.ddts.net> [2002.07.21.2044 +0200]:
> On Sun, Jul 21, 2002 at 05:35:34PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> | is there a /usr/bin/id3 equivalent to editing the comments in Ogg
> | Vorbis files? /usr/bin/vorbiscomment is a pain in the rear to be used
> | in scripts!
>
> How is vorbiscomment such a pain?  It seems rather convenient to me.
> Just echo the data on it's stdin (name=value pairs) or specify the
> same name=value pairs with the -t argument.

I partially agree with you, but give me nice shellcode to use in
a script with xargs (because of find -print0 | xargs -0) that can

  (a) change e.g. the ARTIST value
  (b) add a new name=value pair, but not if it already exists.

The only way I was able to do these two is:

  (a) for i in `find . -name something`; do
        vorbiscomment -l $i  | sed -e 's/(ARTIST=).*/\1new_value/' | \
          vorbiscomment -w $i
      done
  (b) for i in `find . -name something`; do
        (vorbiscomment -l $i  | grep -v NAME; echo NAME=VALUE) | \
          vorbiscomment -w $i
      done

Neither is xargs usable, and the second even has to spawn a subshell.
With id3, both would be possible in a single xargs-compatible line.

"if I can't dance, i don't want to be part of your revolution."
                                                        - emma goldman