Re: unrequested packages on dist-upgrade

On 20/07/02 Rich Rudnick did speaketh:

> If you have aptitude installed, start it, press u (update), then g (go
> install) _once_, that'll give you a list of the packages to be updated.
> Select one of the suspect packages, then press r (reverse depends). This
> will tell you what depends on the suspect package.

    Ok, thanks. As someone else suggested, I _did_ in fact have bonobo
installed.

    I have to say, I still prefer apt to aptitude. I just tried to uninstall
bonobo via aptitude, and it just silently puts the package on hold instead of
purging it like I requested. Meanwhile, if I do an apt-get --purge remove, I
get what I want immediately.

tigger:~# apt-get --purge remove bonobo
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  bonobo* libgtkhtml20* libguppi16*
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 3 to remove and 10  not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 4023kB will be freed.

    I don't even know how bonobo got on the system, since there's no
application I'm using that requires it. I guess that brings us back to the
original topic. ;-)

    Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@storm.ca>, GnuPG pub key: 5BC8BE08
of nerd-like effort."  -Harley Hahn, A Student's Guide to Unix