newbie network set-up problem

Sorry to bother BUT . . .
Doesn't anyone know what this error message means:

mount: RPC: Unable to receive; errno = Connection refused

I am trying to get my first home network configured. I have a debian machine set-up a server and a red hat as client (sorry, just trying to get experience with the various distributions). I have the debian server configured just like in the book and I get the above err-msg. It's funny because the debian machine, once set up automatically configures on boot. The Red Hat box needs to be done by hand each time (ifconfig for the NIC etc). I also set up both machines as servers and am cross mounting just to see if the problem is machine or distribution specific. Err-msg both ways.

CHECKLIST
/etc/hosts filedone
NIC configured
                        Module loaded (lsmod)
                        IP address assigned (ifconfig)
                        Checked with (ifconfig -a)
Exports file done
nfs scriptstarted
rpcinfo -p              checked
exportfs -a             done
mount -o rw,bg,intr,soft   Server:/directory   /client/mount/point

I also tried to mount at boot with the fstab file. BTW I get the same err-msg at boot. Each machine can ping the other. Does anyone know if the error is on the server or client side???