Re: How branches and names work

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 06:09:03PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
>
> > Do I change the "sid" to "testing"?  Will everything in unstable
> > now be moved to testing (doesn't sound correct) or will there
> > just not be a testing for some amount of time?
>
> If previous patterns hold out, there won't be a new testing for a while.
>
> If you always want to run the same version of a particular branch, name
> the branch, i.e. stable, frozen, testing, unstable
>
> If you always want to run the same release, name the release, i.e.,
> hamm, potato, woody, sid...

strictly speaking these are 'code' names and NOT official release names.
The official release names are stable (with the others being testing
and unstable which are of course not recommended for the average user).

software like apt-pinning is definitely affected whether one uses
the name woody as opposed to stable. As an example
if one puts the following :
APT::Default-Release "sarge";

into /etc/apt/apt.conf

on stable woody system it will not work as expected. Instead one needs to put
in testing. I am thinking of the situation where one is running a stable/testing
mixture.

-walter