Re: how to clean up dpkg ?

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 09:43:45AM -0400, Moti Levy wrote:
> Hi ,
> I'm trying ( in-vain so far ) to install gnome2 ,
> i've had gnome on this computer and run apt-get remove gnome ...
> when i run dpkg -l |grep fnome i get :
> rc  gnome-core     1.4.1-1        Common files for GNOME core apps
> ii  gnome-desktop- 2.0.3-1        Common files for GNOME 2 desktop apps
>
> can somene explain what rc means and what ii means ?

If you will run dpkg -l on some package you will get for
the top lines the following:

  Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
  uppercase=bad)

which is an attempt to tell you that the first letter in the next line
is for the Desired state of the package and the next letter is for its
Status. Accordingly, r is for Remove and c is for Config-files. And that
seems just as you asked for: to remove the package but to leave your
configuration files intact.

> i've looked through the apt-howto and the dpkg man page but cant find
> any refrence to it .
> also , lets say i wanted to start from scratch is there a way to delete
> all *gnome* packages ?
> apt-get remove `dpkg -l |grep gnome |awk '{print $2}'` but that does not
> work .
> thanks

One possible reasaon that it does not work is that dpkg -l truncates the
names to a fixed length.

/tmp$ dpkg -l |grep gnome |awk '{print $2}'
gnome-bin
gnome-libs-dat
libglade-gnome
libgnome32
libgnomesuppor
libgnomeui32
/tmp$ su
Password:
/tmp# apt-get remove `dpkg -l |grep gnome |awk '{print
$2}'`
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
E: Couldn't find package gnome-libs-dat
/tmp# exit
/tmp$ dpkg -S gnome-libs-dat
gnome-libs-data: /usr/share/doc/gnome-libs-data/copyright
gnome-libs-data: /usr/share/doc/gnome-libs-data/changelog.gz
gnome-libs-data: /usr/share/doc/gnome-libs-data/gnome-doc.el.gz
gnome-libs-data: /usr/share/doc/gnome-libs-data
gnome-libs-data: /usr/share/doc/gnome-libs-data/changelog.Debian.gz
/tmp$

    Shaul Karl, shaulka@bezeqint.n e t