Re: Kernel panic. No init found

A repost!

Hi folks,

Last night my box broke and am sadly back in the windoze partition. Is there anyone out there that can rescue me?

I think it occurred while a screensaver was active in X. On booting up if get the following message:

Freeing unused kernel memory: 204k freed.
Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.

I changed my grub boot line to:

kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz-2.4.18 root=/dev/hda1 hdc=ide-scsi apm=on init=/bin/bash

This had no effect on the problem.

I've tried booting into the original 2.2.20 kernel with the same error.

My /etc/fstab hasn't changed:
(with the rest being the same as before)

/sbin/init exists and has executable permissions. /bin/sh exists. /etc/inittab looks OK. I don't have /etc/init or /bin/init but don't believe this to be important(?).

I'm running woody. And I'm new to Linux so any hints would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.

I've run e2fsck on /dev/hda1, but still no success.

Tim