Re: Where can I find the boot image file?

If you're using LILO, look at /etc/lilo.conf.  You'll see a line somewhere that
says: "default=<something>".  Next, look for a line that says something like
"label=<something>" a couple of lines above that, you'll see a line that says
"image=/vmlinuz" (that's what mine says).  That's the kernel image that you run
when you're running linux.  In the same stanza, you might see some line that
says "initrd=/initrd.img" (again, that's what mine says).  Now, I'm not sure
about this, so somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that this
is your initial ramdisk image (or boot image).

If you're using GRUB, I'm not really sure what to tell you.  I'd bet that it's
a pretty similar procedure.

HTH

Stephen W. Juranich                             sjuranic@ee.washington.edu
Electrical Engineering             http://students.washington.edu/sjuranic