Re: Synchronising files on laptop with server?

On Fri, 2002-07-19 at 17:03, Charlie Grosvenor wrote:
> Hi
> 	I would like to know if there is any way of keeping files
> synchronised between my server and my laptop, both are running Debian
> woody. I would like to be able to take my laptop away and then when I
> come back plug it into the network then the files would be synchronised
> automatically, like the offline folders in windows 2000 and XP. For the
> other machines on my network I have NFS mounted home directories. Does
> anybody know if it is possible to do file synchronising like this with
> Debian?

Many people will recommend rsync here, but that has one fatal flaw: its
uni-directional.  If updates were made on both machines, the changes on
the destination machine will be erased.

I use Unison (available in debian as 'unison' and 'unison-gtk') which
uses the rsync protocol for syncing (thus is fast) but is
bi-directional, so I can read and delete mail on my laptop, do some
work, come home, download mail, delete more mail, and then sync the two
perfectly.  (the mail bit will only work if your mail is in maildirs
instead of mboxes)

Unison rocks. :)

Ross
--