Re: Java applets in browser

Larry Smith <doccpu@yahoo.com> writes:

> Help me understand this.
>
> Clear back with Netscape 4.75, which ran on the 2.2
> kernel, Java was available for handling applets.
>
> It appears that unless I've hung on to that legacy
> browser, the newer Mozilla, Opera, etc. can only do
> Java with the Java 1.3 JDK from Sun, which requires a
> newer glib that Debian makes available.  (Unless one
> is flirting with SID or something).
>
> Is this so?  Or have I missed an easy way to add some
> unknown java plugin to activate java in my browsers?

It's a feature, not a bug. Mozilla uses OJI (Open JVM Integration),
which delegates java handling to an external VM implementation and frees
the browser developers to concentrate on other things. This also
eliminates redundancy from having a VM installed at the OS level and a
million applications with their own VM.
Theoretically, you should be able to install any Java implementation and
have mozilla use it (I use the Blackdown plugin that's packaged for
debian).

http://www.mozilla.org/catalog/libraries/java/