Re: Ext3 or XFS (or none)?

On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 07:21:53PM -0700, nate wrote:
<snip>
> if the system has a good partition scheme (different partitions
> for /usr /var / /boot /home), it should be pretty easy to migrate.
<snip>
> all my systems have real small / partitions with the
> exception of those that boot off of software raid 1 with
> / on the raid array ..usually 500Mb or less

i used to have almost the same setup, but i've found there's a lot of
thrashing when you have multiple reiserfs partitions on the same drive. so,
now i just have / and /boot (all three of my drives have /boot partitions,
for redundancy). my / is reiserfs on software raid 0. i have three 9gig
10krpm drives, with a chunk size of 16.

anyway, i suggest trying a single root partition, instead of seperating out
/usr, /var, etc. for one thing, you don't have to worry about one partition
running out of space when the others have plenty.

--
Tom Vier <tmv@comcast.net>
DSA Key ID 0xE6CB97DA