Re: Where is Debian going?

giuseppe bonacci wrote:
Hi All.

I am not subscribed to this mailing list, nor do I routinely follow
discussions in this list. I hope not to upset anybody in case this message
is misplaced, and I apologise for not being a native English speaker.

ROFL...too late...you already made us all mad...

I'm a long-time Debian user, and I really appreciate the work that stands
behind this Linux/GNU distribution.  But I wonder why many non-casual
Linux users around me are definitely frightened by Debian, and I would
try to explain my personal feelings about it, and why I would like to
see Debian change.

my good man, you need not wonder...who CARES about what ANYONE ELSE thinks? use debian...it's good for YOU!!!

i cut out the rest of the message...because it's been talked about a zillion times...

look, it's as simple as this...do YOU like using debian. that's it. 99% of this message was just rabble rousing fluff. you needn't worry about where debian is going...rather, enjoy what it can do for you! what else is there? do your part as a casual/power user and start making a mark in the community...rather than hash over old junk. sure debian has some things that could be improved and people have been whining for the past year 'when is this going to be implemented/updated...' blah blah blah. it's a freakin' VOLUNTEER EFFORT. you got something you want done? then YOU do it. we all have jobs and lives to contend with. make some radical changes and advertise your new repository so we can all download and try. :)

* rofl...if people are afraid of debian, let them go back to Red Hat. good luck to them :)

* your message seems to be the age old discussion about distros that auto-detect and ones that don't...how boring. me personally? i LIKE the fact that i have to set things up manually and tweak here and there. so it takes longer....are your mission critical machiines not worth it? if you want something 'autoconfig', go with Red Hat or Mandrake. if you want something GUTSY and INTERESTING, go for Debian - or - for even MORE hair pulling fun, try Sorcerer or CRUX...you think Debian has problems? :)

* i've been using Debian for a little over a year now...and, i disagree with your statement that n00bz wouldn't go near the unstable stuff. just not true. i LOVE messing with unstable...even to the point that something MIGHT go wrong...because i LIKE to find bugs and report them...makes for a better system...no? i've been using unstable for quite some time on my pentium 3 - 2.4.18 kernel...there have been so few bugs...it's almost no fun. :) i compile the new kernel on unstable and things work? :) hmmm...something must be wrong. :) i was using one of those 'auto-config' distros (Mandrake) for a long time ('bout 2 years)...and i found i enjoyed it, but it wasn't really teaching me anything. i wanted MORE...and that's what Debian has given me.

* lastly, the plain old vanilla install of Debian 2.2r6 works just fine. i don't see why you don't like it. even for a n00b like me, i find it rather oversimplified and easy to play with. with a day's worth of tutoring, i could teach my mom how to use it. :) and BTW, i like FreeBSD and Solaris too...but it's not linux...so you can't use them in this discussion. :)

to you, the COMMUNITY, i say, CHEERS. you're what keeps linux groovy.

good luck to all and keep hacking...

-jeff