Re: OT -- was Re: Can't connect to Internet

On Sun, Jul 07, 2002 at 07:46:03PM -0700, ben wrote:
| On Sunday 07 July 2002 07:10 pm, Kent West wrote:
| > On Sun, Jul 07, 2002 at 05:56:47PM -0700, ben wrote:
| > >
| > >your self edit in the original post shows as much discretion
| > >as any reader of this list should need.
| >
| > The "self-edit" still put the word in *my* brain, where I'd prefer
| > it not to be.

Ditto.  (if I had read the original post slowly and carefully enough
the first time to have seen half of what was written)

| > Call me a prude . . . .   :-)

| c'mon, kent. do a search of the archives for the expression he used,
| and then a search to see how much offense that usage has drawn.

That is not the point.  I didn't take a vote to determine whether or
not I find that language acceptable.

| of course it brings 'the word' to mind--in fact, that's the point of
| abbreviated usage,

Then don't use it :-).  That's an easy solution.

| to indicate how frustrated and how much in need of aid the user is
| at a given point.

There are better methods.

| in fact, i find egregious censorship even more offensive than the
| expression

Then censor yourself in a non-egregious manner :-).  The goal is not
to censor people but rather to encourage people to act in a more
polite manner.

| @#$%'s sake, lighten up.

Thank you, but no thanks.

Do note, however, that my preference for a lack of foul language
doesn't preclude providing useful information (unless I can't really
find the actual problem in the midst of the noise).

-D

--

The Lord detests all the proud of heart.
Be sure of this: They will not go unpunished.

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/