Re: Recompiled kernel and killed network card (newbie)

On Sunday 07 July 2002 07:04 pm, Lisa C. Boyd wrote:
> Sorry for not giving more information earlier :)
>
> lspci returns this line:
> 00:11.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905B 100BaseTX [Cyclone]
> (rev 24)
>
> ifconfig has a line for lo but no line for eth0.
>
> I compared the new config file to the old one but don't see any differences
> in the networking references.
>
> dmesg|more doesn't reference the nic. I saw the following PCI related
> messages. Not sure if this is relevant?
> 	PCI: PCI BIOS Revision 2.10 entry at 0xfcaee, last bus=2
> 	PCI: Using configuration type 1
> 	PCI: Probing PCI hardware unknown bridge resource 0: assuming transparent

if there's no reference to your nic in the dmesg output, then the kernel
doesn't know of its existence, i.e. the necessary driver isn't getting
loaded. if you've got x up and running, you might want to try 'make xconfig'
from a terminal. i find it easier to stay on top of everything with a gui,
and easier to save and load custom configs. as far as your particular nic is
concerned, i'd be really surprised to learn that you've got something that
linus, et al, haven't taken into consideration.

apart from that, what does your /etc/network/interfaces look like?

ben