Re: CUPS: default printers, and Canon drivers

On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 11:05:06PM +0200, Hugo van der Merwe wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have set up two printers in CUPS, both using the same parallel port...
> because I don't always have the same printer connected. This proves to
> be a mess, a struggle practically every time I try to print something
> that uses lpr. (E.g. KDE stuff works better, iirc, because you select
> spefically which printer you want.) While this can be done by lpr, I
> want to be able to use the default printer.
>
> I have set up the default printer in the config file, and upon
> restarting CUPS, I see lpstat -s outputs the correct printer as default
> printer. But then after a while, I often see that the default printer
> has changed to the other one! Any ideas how or why this happens? Maybe I
> must just disable the second and be done with it. :(
>
> The second thing is I want to set up CUPS to print to a Canon FAX B-340
> printer. The docs for the printer says I can use BJ-200 series drivers.
> I have the gimp-print drivers, these contain BJC 210, BJC 240, and BJC
> 250 drivers. Can I use one of these (which?), or where can I find
> something I can use, or where should I ask this kind of question? (Does
> CUPS have some support mailing list?)

I don't know if I'm being helpful, but I have a Canon BJC-4400 working under
CUPS. I did this by actually executing /usr/sbin/foomatic-compiledb and then
using lpadmin to manually install a printer

/usr/sbin/lpadmin -p yourprinter -E -v parallel:/dev/lp0 -P /dev/ppd/Canon-BJC-4400-bjc600.ppd

Yours appears to be more problematic because I can't find any Canon FAX printers
in the supported list.