Re: nmap little sense if run on yourself?

Dan Jacobson writes:
Is it true that nmap makes little sense if you run it to check the
machine it is running on?

Personally, I disagree. nmap run against the IP address held by a network interface will still tell you what's listening on that interface, even if you're on the box. A handy, non-ISP-annoying way of discovering what you've forgotten to lock down. However, you will of course only see things from that network's point of view. If you have routers or firewalls in the way, you will have to factor any filtering and blocking that they do into your results.
So where is a free site that will do the nmap checks across the
network on me? Not hackerwacker please. Tried grc.com BTW.

Hmm, I much prefer asking a trustworthy and knowledgeable friend to run the scan. You never know what these websites might do with their scan results. Take care Peter.
--
peter.whysall@ntlworld.com
Debian GNU/Linux sid on i386 and hppa