Re: About GNOME Setting and XMMS Sound

(please note: the cross-posting has been appropriately trimmed down)

On Sat, Jun 22, 2002 at 01:45:49PM +0700, arief_mulya wrote:

| 2. XMMS Sound, yesterday, when I play a song in XMMS, it's
| just play it very nicely. I don't have to do anything. While
| now, I need to make the output plugin goes to libesd and
| then start esd manually. The modules I load is still the
| same as yesterday, only i810_audio and ofcourse soundcore
| and ac97_codec.

Were you running GNOME (esd) yesterday?  If not, then xmms was
probably defaulting to the "OSS" output plugin and writing directly to
/dev/dsp.  That's a bad thing because you can only have 1 process
outputing sound at any given time since the OSS modules can't share
the device with multiple processes.  A better solution is to use esd
or ALSA.  I have no experience with ALSA so I can't help there.

Esd is a daemon process that will open /dev/dsp and direct sound
output to there.  If esd starts before you run xmms, then xmms won't
be able to acquire the sound device, so it won't work (and vice
versa).  To solve that, tell xmms to use the ESD output plugin
instead.  This will cause xmms to direct all sound output requests to
the esd daemon.  esd will then blend all the requests it gets (from
other GNOME apps) into a single wave and send that to the sound card
(via /dev/dsp).

To start esd when you log in, check the box labeled
    Enable sound server startup
in the "General" tab in the "Multimedia/Sound" item in the GNOME
Control Center.

| I really don't want to do some reinstalling again ;-)

With a good linux system (eg debian) you don't need to start over with
the installation CDs to fix a problem.  There is (almost) always a way
to change the setup on a running system.  The trick is just knowing
how :-).

HTH,
-D

--

If we claim we have not sinned, we make Him out to be a liar and His
Word has no place in our lives.

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/