Re: apt-get source <package>

On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 01:11:52PM -0400, Erik Mathisen wrote:
| Hello,
|
| I have a question.  I normally use
|
|   apt-get install <package>
|
| to install any package on my system.  Now I have seen how you can use
|
|    apt-get source <package>
|
| and then compile it own your own machine.  Now what I was wondering,
| is there an advantage to doing this?  If so, what is it, and how much
| of an advantage is it.

There might be an advantage.  Here are the possibilities :
    1)  you are a speed freak and want to recompile with arch optimizations
    2)  you want to change the configure options or otherwise tweak
        the build for your purposes but still want a debian package.
    3)  you can see exactly which options and patches the DD included
    4)  you know how good debian is so you get your source and
        packages from there, even for non-debian systems :-)

Unless you have some special requirements, it usually isn't necessary
to build on your own.  Here are some cases where I have found it
necessary :
    1)  cadaver was outdated; I grabbed the debian source, copied over
        the new upstream source, and very conveniently built a new
        .deb

    2)  LDAP support in samba.  I grabbed the source and added that
        option to the 'configure' invocation and ended up with a nice
        new .deb

-D

--

Do not pay attention to every word people say,
    or you may hear your servant cursing you --

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/