fetchmail started at boot even for PPP users

Deep in /usr/share/doc/fetchmail/README.Debian.gz it says

   Fetchmail does not like to be started without a DNS server, so PPP
   users will probably notice that fetchmail fails to start on boot
   up.

Mine does start up and I wish it wouldn't.  Were you depending on this
as the check of if to start or not?

   This is not a serious problem, as the ip-up script will restart
   fetchmail when the PPP link is brought up.

So what is the point of starting it at boot?  It just tries to do all
the things we do in the fetchmailrc, which might be a lot, and might
be every minute or so if we set it that way, never thinking that it
would also try to that off line.

   If you use PPP and dislike the attempt to start fetchmail on
   bootup, just remove the S99fetchmail links on /etc/rc*.d.

Well, that sort of feels like putting my fingers in the raw
machinery.  Isn't there some more elegant way?
Sounds like something that might get undone upon upgrades.  I mean
I think most debian tools notice files that users change, but not ones
that don't exist.

Anyway, I don't see the justification for starting it on boot, but all
I know is my modem world.
--
http://jidanni.org/ Taiwan(04)25854780