Re: sudden problems with masqueraded connections over a t-dsl line

On Tue, 11 Jun 2002 22:07:59 +0200
"Peter Lieven" <pl@dlh.net> wrote:

> since friday my isp german telekom changed some configuration in their
> routers.
My english is bad, I'm sorry. I hope you can understand it.

My network showed the same behaviour some weeks ago.
The problem is your mtu (Maximum Transfer Unit) on your Linuxclients.
The usual ethernet config uses 1500 bytes.
Everything would be fine, but for the dial-up technic, your ISP-provider
needs pppoe. PPPOE need 8 additionally bytes, so you have a size of 1508.

The server of your provider you are connected to, only allow a size of
1500. 1500- 8 = 1492, so your maximum transfersize of your linuxclients
has to be 1492. Use: ifconfig ethx mtu 1492

If you are using iptables, check the manual for other ways, to handle the
oversized packages of your clients.

Your internetserver is already configured with this mtu-size, take a look
on your ippp0-connection using ifconfig. Every package is automatically
reduced to this size. (The are never packages with a size of 1508 bytes
being send to your network-cable, this is all very roughly described)

I can give you only a assumption, why it happend suddenly.
The Telekom-server is a such called blackhole-server. That means it sends
no ICMP-Message to you. So it dont even send a message to you, if he has
received a oversized package. Looks like they changed the behaviour from
sending a ICMP-message to sending No-ICMP-Messages.

btw.: I can send packages of mtu-size of 1500 again. maybe I should check
the incoming ICMP-Messages :-)

cu
walde