Re: Debian: abandon ship?

>>"Nick" == Nick Jacobs <nj1072000@yahoo.com> writes:

 Nick> A few days ago, David Wright posted a message to this list,
 Nick> questioning the wisdom of Debian's decision to target 11
 Nick> architectures. He pointed out (with supporting references) that
 Nick> this decision has contributed to a long delay in releasing
 Nick> Woody; of course, other people have said this before.

	Well, this is only partially true. All architectuures for
 Woody are ready. They are not delaying the release. What is not ready
 is the ability to support security for woody and potato for even the
 architectures that we have now -- not with the increased number of
 packlages that the security team has to support.

	So, woody can't be released even now, wqith the arches that
 potato supports.

 Nick> The main result was that a small number of Debian insiders
 Nick> posted abusive comments in response to David's perfectly
 Nick> reasonable message. (The thread, in case you missed it, has the
 Nick> subject "This post is not off-topic".)

	This is a foul canar. His reasonable questions received a
 reasonable resaponse: Debian has no release schedules, and that the
 goals of the project are not to maximize popularity.

	When you start making demands of the developers, the standard
 response was again given; that the developers have no obligation to
 meet demands on how they must spend their time volunteering. Abuse? I
 would characterize demands as abuseive, myself.

 Nick> With hindsight, it's clear that trying to support too many
 Nick> architectures was a mistake.  Of course, everybody makes
 Nick> mistakes. It is truly said that he who never made a mistake,
 Nick> never made anything.

	I beg to differ. The arches are ready. The developers who work
 on these architectures as a labour of love can't just be
 reassigned. Porting packages uncovers flaws that makes packages less
 buggy on all architectures.

	Of course, when it comes down to the brass tacks, if such a
 difference of opinion exists, the people who do the work get to
 decide which side is right.

 Nick> But what separates the doers from the wannabes is the ability
 Nick> to admit a mistake, change direction, and move on.

	I see. A bunch of people that have put together a distribution
 of Linux, one that is fairly succesful, are the wannabees, and
 bystanders critisizing the effor t are the doers. I would think that
 actually getting out there and putting together one of the top 5
 distributions would classify debian as one of the doers, but hey,
 what do I know.

 Nick> If the people in effective control of Debian's direction no
 Nick> longer have this ability, then perhaps Debian is no longer
 Nick> useful to most of us.

	We are a pretty egalitarian bunch. If there was a wide spread
 dissonance with this decision, it would not have happened. And whther
 Debian is useful or not is a decision every one has to make on their
 own.

	It is still useful for me.

	manoj

--
 One does not thank logic. Sarek, "Journey to Babel", stardate 3842.4