Re: What do I need for email virus checking on debian server?

What MTA are you using?

Qmail with qmailscanner (http://qmailscanner.sourceforge.net I think)
works very nicely.  I use qmail, rblsmtpd (rbl block spam), qmailscanner
w/ f-prot (AV scanner) & spamassassin.  Incoming smtp sessions are
checked w/ rbl, then if accepted, the mail goes into qmail's queue.
>From there, qmailscanner does some basic checking and then executes
f-prot & spamc.  When all that is done, qmail delievers the message.
All virus emails are quarentined and a virus notification message is
sent instead (can be sent to recip, sender, and/or admin).  Any spam
messages can be filtered by checking for X-Spam-Status: Yes.

If you use sophos AV, there's a daemon add-on to speed it up (similar to
spamassassin v2).  Debian is a little behind on the Courier maildrop
packages, so you'll have to manually upgrade the package to 1.3.8+ for
qmailscanner to install.

Hope this helps,
-Paul