Re: Emacs and shell variables

Stefan Bellon <sbellon@sbellon.de> writes:

> I know very little of the login process. Does gdm evaluate the
> ~/.environment file? Or the ~/.xsession file? If neither, then the
> above solution doesn't give me any advantage. If it does evaluate one,
> then yes, this is clearly the way to go.

It depends on what kind of session you choose to launch with gdm. It
won't evaluate .environment.

However, if you launch the `Xsession' session, then it will launch
.xsession. Take a look at the session scripts in /etc/gdm/Sessions,
which should tell you which sessions evaluate which files.

FWIW, gdm's `Xsession' session tries .xsession, and .Xclients if
.xsession doesn't exist. Gdm's `Debian' session executes
/etc/X11/Xsession, which also evaluates .xsession eventually. The
`Gnome' session uses .gnomerc.

--
Dave Carrigan (dave@rudedog.org)            | Yow! Four thousand different
UNIX-Apache-Perl-Linux-Firewalls-LDAP-C-DNS | MAGNATES, MOGULS & NABOBS are