Problem With vsftpd - "tunable_ftp_username" ???

I just replaced the ordinary ftpd as supplied with my Debian Woody/Pre
system by the vsftpd deb in Testing, but now can't actually run any
FTP sessions because vsftpd dies every time I connect, as follows :

# ftp django
Connected to django.mydomain.org.
500 OOPS: vsftpd: cannot locate user specified in
'tunable_ftp_username'
ftp> bye

I took a real guess and added the directive
  tunable_ftp_username=nobody
to my vsftpd.conf (*guessing* because the identifier
"tunable_ftp_username" doesn't appear anywhere in either the man page,
or the supplied config file), and now I get :

# ftp django
Connected to django.mydomain.org.
500 OOPS: unrecognised variable in config file

Anyone know what on earth is going on here ?
Or what the unrecognised variable might be ?
Or why vsftpd gives such cryptic error messages ;-) ?
Anybody else have vsftpd running happily on Debian Woody ?

The deb installed is :
ii  vsftpd         1.0.0-2        The Very Secure FTP Daemon

TIA
Nick Boyce
Bristol, UK
--
Steinbach's Guideline for Systems Programming: Never test for an
error condition you don't know how to handle.