Problem with nut and Cyberpower 1250AVR

Hello all,

I have a Cyberpower 1250AVR connected to /dev/ttyS1 on my up-to-date Sid
maching running nut.  When I run "/etc/init.d/nut start" the shell just hangs
with-

Starting Network UPS Tools:

I need to break out with <Ctrl-C> to get back to the shell.  Then I get the
remaing-

Starting Network UPS Tools: /lib/nut/cyberpower-ttyS1 upsd upsmon.

Grepping a ps command shows that both /sbin/upsd and /sbin/upsmon are running.

nut sends the following to syslog
upsd[...]: Warinig: Data for UPS [myups] is stale - check driver
upsd[...]: Startup successful
upsd[...]: Connection from 127.0.0.1
upsmon[...]: Startup successful
upsmon[...]: Poll UPS [myups@localhost] failed - Data stale
upsmon[...]: UPS myups@localhost is unavailable
upsmon[...]: Poll UPS [myups@localhost] failed - Data stale

Here are the things I know (have tried).

1- The UPS and supplied cable are good, (works with supplied software from
Windows).

2- /dev/ttyS1 is the correct port.  I moved the mouse from ttyS0 to S1 and
configured gpm to make sure. (of course I moved it back when done with test:)

3- /dev/ttyS1 is 660 root.nut

4- /lib/nut/cyberpower is 750 nut.nut

5- nut version is 0.45.5 and Cyberpower driver is experimental.  Reading list
archives at http://lists.exploits.org/upsdev/ shows lots of activity on this
UPS.

upsd.conf
UPS myups /lib/nut/cyberpower-ttyS1 cyberpower /dev/ttyS1

upsmon.conf
MONITOR myups@localhost 1 nut_pass master

I thought I would start with Debian User before I bother the nut list.  It
looks like the the Cyberpower driver should be working (to some extent) from
all the messages on the list.

Thanks for any help.

--
Bill