Home brew

I'd appreciate some advice on home-building a computer that will have Linux and
(cough) WindowsXP installed with an emphasis on Debian .

I have just a vague idea of things that should be considered, --- case style, power
supply, cooling, choice of CPU  , motherboard with a fast FSB, chipset, video and
sound, voice modem,---probably just enough knowledge to be dangerous.

I've read claims that integrated motherboards (video, sound, and modem)
have worked well in Linux and also the contrary.  The same with CPU's, (AMD Athlon,
Intel Pentium 4 or Celeron),  one chipset better than another in Linux etc........It gets
to the point where it's enough to say "I'll stick with my old slowpoke 233 MHz box, at
least it works in any Linux."   But, pioneering spirit says, "go for an upgrade" (or,
is it just 'keep up with the Joneses'?)

Is there a web site that offers up to date recommendations for putting together
a decent, fast, computer for somewhere between $800 to $1000, (less is better)
one that won't require tricky patches to accept any Linux.  The few websites I've
found still deal in pre 2000 terms.

Suggestions are welcome--general or specific.
Alex