Re: Samba Won't Take Passwords

hi ya brian

throw away swat..... and your life will be 100x faster/easier..

get /etc/samba/smb.conf from the samba package...
	- be sure to have a printer section
	- be sure ot have a home dir section

be sure to run the command on linux side

	debian#  cd /etc/samba ; smbpasswd  user

dont bother to attempt ot print till you can see the printer
attached to your debian host listed in
your network neighborhood list of "windoze/samba" machines

c ya
alvin

#
# get a real smb.conf file.... from samba.org
# ============================
#
smb.conf
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   encrypt passwords = yes
   smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   path = /opt/home
   browseable = no
   writable = yes

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = no
# Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
   guest ok = no
   printable = yes
;
; 29-Oct-01 amo Added these additional printer options
;
   print command = /usr/bin/lpr -r  %s ;  rm %s
   printer = xerox
   printing = BSD
   read only = yes

to test samba.....
==================
# Check this config file
# ----------------------
#       testparm
#       testprns xerox /etc/printcap
#
#       smbclient -U% -L localhost
#       nmblookup WORKGROUP#1B
#

# To Add Users
#       cd /etc/samba ; smbpasswd -a Win98user
	( where its their unix loginName )

# happy reading..
#       http://us2.samba.org/samba/oreilly/using_samba/

#
# we'll worry about your /etc/printcap file separate...
#