Re: mail rules

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002 23:49:04 -0500, Nathan E Norman wrote:

>On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 09:36:21PM -0700, Paul 'Baloo' Johnson wrote:
>> On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Nathan E Norman wrote:
>>
>> > I'd take this effort more seriously if participants (like you) honored
>> > my Mail-Followup-To: header which explicitly requests a response to the
>> > list, and only to the list.  Until I see people practicing what they
>> > preach, nay demand from the rest of the community, I reserve my
>> > skepticism.
>>
>> I'd really appreciate it if people stopped complaining about getting
>> CC'd in on list traffic when they make mention of this in obscure
>> headers that most mailers don't support and are unseen unless you
>> display full headers.
>
>So even though "reply to the list only" is the policy of debian lists,
>you disagree?
>
>Real mailers (gnus, mutt) do suport the headers of course :)  You use
>PINE ...

First, I am using a fairly intelligent mail client (at least for the win
world).  It does honor "Reply-To:" in the header.  This works well for a
couple of lists that munge the header.  It apparently does not recognize
"Mail-Followup-To:" as you used in your mail :^/  So I did as usual and
opened the address book.  Ah, well.  Like you, Nate, I wish for smart
mail clients for everyone.  Lacking that, maybe some smart posters :-).

There is more to the story.

I could set a default reply-to address.  But, what would it be?  Each
mail needs a different one.  Either I must remember to set that for each
post, or the list machinery needs to add it (lots of arguments about
that).  To tell the truth, I usually forget (bad Gary, bad, bad)

So, Balloo, maybe our only recourse is to carp each time we get
duplicate replies.  A reminder to the more experienced, and a lesson to
the newbies, eh?
--
gt
It is interesting to note that as one evil empire (generic) fell,