Re: Someone tell me the secret of mutt

On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 06:55:27PM -0700, Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:
| Ximian Evolution really is a foul pig of an MUA.  I love pine, but it is
| slow and featureless.  I want to try mutt.  The problem is, I can't
| figure out in < 10 minutes how to do the most basic things with mutt:
|
| * Configure it to get mail from my IMAP servers.

man muttrc :
       imap_authenticators
       imap_delim_chars
       imap_force_ssl
       imap_home_namespace
       imap_keepalive
       imap_list_subscribed
       imap_pass
       imap_passive
       imap_peek
       imap_servernoise
       imap_user

You have no lack of control over how it behaves.  (I use maildir
myself)

| * Change IMAP folders.

    (I imagine, just like any other folder change)

| * Set my SMTP server.

man muttrc
       sendmail

mutt pipes the message to the command specified in the "sendmail"
directive.  The default is fine if you are using exim (debian's
default).  Then you need to correctly setup your MTA to use a
"smarthost relay".  Search the archives, I've posted detailed
instructions and explanations many times.

| * Use my GPG key.

Dunno, but the Mutt-GPG-Howto on linuxdoc.org is probably helpful.
looking at 'man muttrc' (again!) I see

       pgp_autosign
       pgp_autoencrypt
       pgp_ignore_subkeys
       pgp_entry_format
       pgp_good_sign
       pgp_long_ids
       pgp_replyencrypt
       pgp_replysign
       pgp_show_unusable
       pgp_sign_as
       pgp_strict_enc
       pgp_timeout
       pgp_verify_sig
       pgp_sort_keys
       pgp_create_traditional
       pgp_outlook_compat
       pgp_decode_command
       pgp_getkeys_command
       pgp_verify_command
       pgp_decrypt_command
       pgp_clearsign_command
       pgp_sign_command
       pgp_encrypt_sign_command
       pgp_encrypt_only_command
       pgp_import_command
       pgp_export_command
       pgp_verify_key_command
       pgp_list_secring_command
       pgp_list_pubring_command
       pgp-hook

Looks to me like you have plenty of control and flexibility.  Note
that for most things mutt has very sane defaults and you don't really
need to much with it.

| * Delete mail

d or D

(they are different commands, see the manual)

| * Purge mail

$

(or change folders)

| * Undelete mail

u U (and others)

(depends on how you want to undelete -- just the current message, the

| * Reply!

r g l

( 'reply' , 'group-reply' , 'list-reply' )

| None of these things are really obvious in mutt.

On the contrary, 'd' 'u' and 'r' are quite obvious.  The full name of
the command is also obvious.

| There is a help screen that lists approx. 20000000000000000 commands
| that I can't remember and

Yeah, but

| there isn't a particularly obvious way to search.

/<regex>

(just like in less and vim, many UNIX tools tend to operate similarly)

(and the full name of the function is often obvious and has a
description as well)

| Because I'm a lazy dude, I would appreciate it if someone would give me
| the Really Short Guide to Mutt for Pine Users.

www.mutt.org

They've got a real good manual there that begins simply and progresses
to more advanced operation.  Just FYI the keys are real similar to
elm, but the features are much more advanced and flexible (and the
license is free-er).  It's not hard to pick up basic usage, and you
progress through the more advanced stuff little by little as you find
it useful.

You may also want to set 'pager' and 'editor' if you don't like the
defaults.  I use

set editor=vim
set pager=less.vim

"less.vim" is a shell script in ~/bin that looks like

~~~~~~
#!/bin/sh -e

exec view -c 'source /usr/share/doc/vim/macros/less.vim' ${@:--}
~~~~~~

It uses vim to obtain the syntax highlighting (very cool!) yet with
that plugin it has less-style keybindings and semantics.

BTW, mutt is very cool!

-D

--

If your life is a hard drive,