Re: diskless

On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 12:07:26AM +0200, Hans Ekbrand wrote:
| On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 11:08:16AM -0300, Marcelo Leal wrote:
| >  i have one FreeBSD box running diskless fine.
| >  now, i wanna one linux box, and...
| >  the bootp, tftp and nfs servers are the same for FreeBSD and linux.
| >  the linux box get the kernel, but do not get the root filesystem.
| > why???

I'm having the same problem.

In my case I see messages to the effect that the diskless machine
couldn't find either the nfs or mountd RPC services and it will use
the default locations.  Then I get an error ("101") and it says it
couldn't find the root partition.

| Has the kernel root-NFS compiled in (or do you use initrd)

It has root-over-NFS and no modules whatsoever.

| >  i don't see neither the requests from inicialization messages of my
| > linux box! only: VFS: cannot mount root fs... put floppy disk... bla bla
| > bla...
|
| Any log messages from the NFSdaemon?

None at all.  The only logs on the server are successful entries from
dhcpd and tftpd.  This is what I can't figure out.  I can mount the
export from another system (that has a disk), but not from the
diskless node.

| www.ltsp.org is a great diskless linux project. Their documentation is
| good.

I'd rather do it myself.  I've seen their binary packages and scripts
that need to be run as root, and I'd rather be in control and
understand what is going on.  I'm also so close to success that I know
the problem must be something stupid I'm overlooking.  I've just
noticed the use of "rdev" in some root-over-nfs instructions, so I'll
see if that makes any difference tomorrow.  In the meantime, if you
have any ideas or pointers as to what error code 101 means and how I
can debug this, they are greatly appreciated!

TIA,
-D

PS.  both my systems (server and diskless node) will be debian

--

It took the computational power of three Commodore 64s to fly to the moon.
It takes at least a 486 to run Windows 95.