RE: The latest round of antivirus bouncebacks

On Thu, 2002-04-11 at 14:44, Matt Frazer wrote:
> Karsten neglects to mention that he also sent a Spam/UCE/UBE report to
> myself, abuse and postmaster@my.isp, abuse and postmaster@my.domain, as well
> as domain-registrar@register.com. The body of this report contained thinly
> veiled threats of being reported to the FTC as well as multiple abuse
> reporting systems and indicated that email from my domain would now be
> blocked by a large percentage of internet mail servers. Who specifically
> this was reported to is unclear, however it is interesting to note that the
> bridgehead SMTP server that sits between our Exchange Server and the
> Internet began to indicate a high rate of forged address relay attempts
> shortly after this spam report email arrived.
>
> This surprises me in that other than the blanket definition of, Email I
> don't want to see, I do not understand how a mail server here replying to a
> message sender that it detected a virus in an attachment could be seen as
> Spam, or unsolicited commercial content.

The problem is these "Virus warnings" sent a message to this list, which
relayed it to thousands of other people.  Also, this virus message was
useless and probably incorrect.  Therefore your mail server sent a
useless and incorrect message to thousands of people.

You can see that this message is considered rude and harmful.

-jwb