Intermittent aspect ratio problem in X 4.1

Hi.  I hope someone knows what's going on here, I'm stumped.

My PC switches from text to graphics mode when I run startx or
switch from a console to X.  Most of the time this works fine, but
sometimes the resulting graphics window is too tall, such that the
top and bottom of the window are shifted off the monitor.  It's
also narrower and shifted a little to the right.  Output from
startx is the same in both cases.  The only fix is to keep
switching between text and graphics modes until it comes out
right.

Hardware:

ECS K7S5A mainboard with Athlon CPU
Matrox Millennium G450 32MB DDR Dual AGP - model G45+MDHA32DR
Nokia Multigraph 449X 15'' monitor

Software:

XFree86 4.1.0-14
xserver-xfree86

My config file and the output from startx are at
http://pobox.com/~tz/X_files.html .

Notes:

This isn't a recent problem, it's been happening for months.
I update/upgrade with apt-get regularly.

The card is a G450, but the X server seems to think it's a G400.
I guess the G450 isn't supported yet?  It's dual-head but I only
use #1.

Does xvidtune work with X4?  It looks like it's only for X3.

TIA,
--
Tom Zych
This email address will expire in a few days to thwart spammers.