Re: URGENT "md" question: RAID partitions lack device nodes

On Tue, 9 Apr 2002 17:24:54 -0400, Cory Snavely wrote:

>Unless something with raidtools has drastically changed and I didn't notice,
>there is no such thing as partitioning an md device. Instead, you'd
>partition the disks themselves, and then create RAID 1s from those
>partitions.
>
>E.g., instead of making hda1 and hdb1 into md0 and trying to partition md0,
>partition hda and hdb in identical ways and then create RAID 1s md0, md1,
>md2, etc.

I guess you're right since (apart from a patch that I've found) there's not a
single pointer in Google that would lead me to a website explaining how this
could be accomplished.

To be honest I'm very disappointed about this (*put on asbestos underwear*)
immature implementation. Suppose I have a HUGE RAID that I want to create two
dozens of partitions on. That would mean I need to create physical partitions
on ALL drives involved, and later combine them using raidtab.

This is not exactly what I would have expected.

Anyway, thanks for your comment. Here is the URL of the patch I've found:

http://cgi.cse.unsw.edu.au/~neilb/patches/linux-stable/2.4.18/patch-m-MdPart

I will, however, NOT be using this patch, since I don't know whether it will
some day be part of the standard kernel or not, and I can't afford that some
day I will be without a patch for the then-current kernel.

--
Sign the EU petition against SPAM:          L I N U X       .~.
http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/        The  Choice      /V\