Re: Upgraded computer not upgraded

On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 05:34:05PM -0700, curtis wrote:
| I had upgraded one of our computers per instructions, which have worked
| on all computers. Provided at the end of the message is the procedure I
| used.
| I had actually assumed that that computer was upgraded to 2.4, but I
| discovered that it is still on the 2.2 kernel.
| Any apt-get dist-upgrade produces nothing and the image is not in the
| /boot/ directory (which is were it should be, right?).
| Do I now have manually upgrade it? And if so, how?

Apt will never automatically change your kernel.  The kernel is a bit
too crucial to try and automatically change without the admin first
ensuring that it is configured right and will actually boot.  In
addition, many (or just some) people build their own custom kernel and
wouldn't want apt to automatically replace it.  You can install new
kernel images via 'apt-get install kernel-imgage-<version>'.

-D

--

"Wipe Info uses hexadecimal values to wipe files. This provides more
security than wiping with decimal values." -- Norton SystemWorks 2002 Manual