Re: Stuck: "EXT2-fs warning: ..."

> Sorry about that, I didn't know (and haven't gotten any such
> complaints before). My "mail client" is a Web interface created by my
> e-mail service. I therefore don't have much control over how it sends
> out wrapped text, I think, but let me try this and maybe you'll be so
> kind as to tell me if it works better for you (I ran my text through a
> filter I wrote* after composing it, and then re-pasted it into the
> interface field). This is hardly a situation unique to me (i.e., S_*t
> Happens ... in my case, because of my problems setting up Debian I've
> been stuck on W98 for a long time... and many things are 'just getting
> by' style instead of 'optimal' .. like finding a good IMAP email
> client to use in a nice graphical environment). Also I've found it
> necessary to cope with badly wrapped text to be quoted often before,
> and so I'll post my filter at this msg bottom for anyone to use that
> finds it helpful.

Much better. ;)

> `man' is hosed on my Debian system. When logged in as root and I try
> `man' or `info' I get "execv: permission denied" error. It seems
> there's is so much that can go wrong with Linux...

Oh, just about as many things can go wrong with that other OS as well, you
just don't have a list full of helpful people when that thing hits the
crapper. :)

Okay, normally a linux system when it boots will automatically run 'fsck' for
you when it finds the maximal mount count has been reached.  For some reason,
you system is not doing this and it would probably be worth the trouble to
figure out why (unfortunately I can't help you with that).

Here's the short answer to your situation. You're going to need something like
LOAF (linux on a floppy).  Your Debian install disk should work nicely.  Stick
in the disk (make sure you change the bios setting to boot from that drive, if
necessary) and start the machine.  If you're using the Debian install disk,
when you see the intro screen, hit CTRL+ALT+F2.  This will give you a root
shell.  Now, let RPART='Your root linux partition'  (for me, this is /dev/hda2,
yours is probably something similar).  So what you'll do now is say:

# fsck -A $RPART

Any changes that are presented to you (like missing or changed inodes), just
accept.  Let fsck do whatever needs to be done to repair the fs.
While you're at it, if you have any other ext2 partitions, go ahead and fsck
them as well (don't worry about your swap partition).

After you finish checking/repairing all of your filesystems, probably the
easiest way out is to (remove the boot disk and) reboot.  You now should be up
and running.

After that's all said and done, you will probably want to upgrade your fs to
ext3 (if it's not there already).  First, you'll want to make sure that you
have a kernel that can read ext3 at boot time (i.e., either uses an initial
ramdisk image, or has ext3 built in to the kernel).  Next, you'll want to read
this article at debianplanet: http://www.debianplanet.org/article.php?sid=627

Good luck.  Let us know if you need more help.

Stephen W. Juranich                             sjuranic@ee.washington.edu
Electrical Engineering             http://students.washington.edu/sjuranic
University of Washington                http://ssli.ee.washington.edu/ssli

 \ /  ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN   ||  NO ATTACHMENTS
  X   AGAINST HTML MAIL       ||  NO STATIONERY
 / \  AND POSTINGS            ||  NO GRAPHICS