Re: alternative web browser to netscape

> on Tue, Apr 09, 2002, Phillip Deackes (gsmh@runbox.com) wrote:
> Define "correctly display"?  For standard HTML, there's no problem.
> Ditto, if you want to abuse yourself by installing the plugins, most
> flash, Java, and Javascript, though I disable these, and don't patronize
> sites requiring same.  Frankly, I don't think I lose much in the
> bargain.

> It's amazing watching the cattle lining up for slaughter.  C'est la vie.

<sigh>

I have a PAL TV because I live in the UK and our terrestrial TV is broadcast in the PAL format. I think PAL is better than NTSC as used in the States, Japan etc.. If I move to the US I will take my PAL TV with me because it is better. I may only be able to watch PAL Videos, or the output from other kit I take with me, but what the hell - PAL is better. I would like to run my car on LPG. The fact that there are no service-stations near me selling it shouldn't matter - it is better for the environment and I think all cars should run on it. Hey, I might get it converted tomorrow.

I am afraid I cannot be so arrogant about this. What I do on the Internet is not always to do with Linux, or with other such highbrow subjects. Sometimes I just want to play, or do some shopping. Yes, I have visited the Argos site, the Littlewoods Extra site and so on. No, they do not work well in Linux - but will not stop using these sites because I could be cutting off my nose to spite my face.

I am not interested in telling web designers that they need to re-design their sites so that a small percentage of extra users can access them. I know they are wrong, but I just want to *use* the Internet to get things done.

If my washing machine only washes certain items of clothing and other washing machines wash much more, then the answer is clear. The situation with Linux browsers is not so bad that such a choice is forced on us, but it is irritating. If the world and his dog is writing web sites to suit MS IE, then how does it help us to take the moral highground and refuse to budge? As a user, it helps me very little.

Heck, if a stable version of IE was released for Linux I would use it. I might even buy it - AND I hate MS!

--
Phillip Deackes
Using Debian Linux