Re: X window cut-n-paste question

Bill Moseley wrote:

> Ok, I have to ask.
>
> What's the equivalent to windows, mark text to copy, Ctrl-C, move mouse,
> mark text to replace, ctrl-V to replace?
>
> I often find my self highlighting some that I want to paste someplace
> else.  But that someplace else (like a Location entry for a browser)
> already has text in the field.  So, I double-click to highlight, and
> backspace to remove, but now I've replaced my original cut buffer so I
> can't paste.
>
> This is running KDE.

I'm assuming KDE 2.x here...

Do you have a little red & white clipboard symbol in your KDE panel?
(Bottom right corner of the screen if you haven't moved the panel
around.) This is a little app that remembers the last couple of things
you selected. You'll be able to get back the text you're after with it,
and then paste it into the empty field.

You can also just avoid selecting the original text in the field by
single clicking and using backspace/delete to get rid of it. In some
apps you can use Emacs key combinations to manipulate the text in fields
(Netscape and Mozilla do, for example, don't know about the KDE apps).
Try 'CTRL-a CTRL-k' (move to beginning of line, delete to end of line
respectively) after single clicking on the text field.

Matthew