exim not sending mail

2.2.20
Exim version 3.34 #1 built 19-Jan-2002 17:51:35

Hello all. I've asked for help on this to another group and hope I'm not cross posting to early but it's Sunday and I would really like my mutt back as I have to type a bunch of emails tonight. (this message brought to you by mozilla - there's not a way to incorporate VI into Mozilla is there?)

Basically what's going on is exim is not sending mail and is not giving me any error messages except for in the logs. For a while I thought every one was getting my email.

Problems started a week ago or so when I did some apt-get/deselect update and I think a reboot. Perhaps something I changed a long time ago got changed on the reboot.

Once exim told me that it cannot send my mail because "no space left on device". There was ample room on /var and /var/spool . The first thing i did was 'ln -s /var/spool /freepartition' ... ended up unlinking it and somehow I did not get that error message any more but got some permissions denied ... checked permissions and changed the exim stuff to mail:mail (it was root:root)

 Then mail was working again.

Never inquired why it said there was no disk space when there was ample room.

-----------

Now no mail gets sent. Mutt tells me "message sent" no errors nothing in my default mbox

mail was not sent

checking /var/log/exim/mainlog I see at a rate of about 60/second is inputed a ton of:

2002-04-07 17:40:12 16kWfM-0004qW-00 Message is frozen

checking /var/spool/exim/msglog is a bunch of files that read like:

16uGYF-0007NJ-00

'less 16uGYF-0007NJ-00'  returns

2002-04-07 10:34:04 directing failed for joeheuring@cox.net <joe@cox.net>: unknown local-part "joeheuring" in domain "cox.net"
*** Frozen (delivery error message)

I'm not sure what exim is trying to do here. "joe" is my user name on the computer joeheuring is my email name for cox.net

my /etc/aliases has always read

joeheuring: joe

looking at that message it looks to me that it's trying to insert <joe@cox.net> into the headers and then it's getting rejected by cox's smtp but I know that's not it because there would be a rejection notice. I also tried changing the alias around to read "joe: joeheuring" Mozilla writes my header as Joe Heuring <joeheuring@cox.net> and it works.

help  help I just want my Mutt VI back :)