Re: multimedia keyboard

Patrik Modesto wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 03:48:50PM +0100, Mirek Dobsicek wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> >  I'd like to ask if is it good idea to buy a multimedia keyboard?
> > Can the extra keys be used in X as they are in windoze? (eg. slide
> > volume in xmms ... etc.)
>
> I have some Logitech multimedia keyboard and works well with xmms.
> 1) find the keycodes for the new keys
> 2) make your home xmodmap file (mine is bellow)
> 3) xmodmap the file
> 4) bind the new keys. I use sawfish, but it should works with others WM

  with X 4.x you probably don't even need xmodmap, just use the
following settings in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Logitech Cordless iTouch"
        Driver          "keyboard"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
        # erik: default commented out: Option           "XkbModel"
"pc104"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "logicordless"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "us"
EndSection

  depending on exact version of logitech keyboard you might need
different XkbModel (or you might still need xmodmap), /etc/X11/xkb files
for more info (it looks like rules/xfree86 is the most interesting one,
also check symbols/inet)

	erik