Of cause by now you'd have noticed I'm a complete novice on Linux (and any Unix for that matter).

Here's what is running:

Debian GNU/Linux 2.2
#1 Sat Nov 18 18:47:15 EST 2000
release: 2.2.18pre21
i686

GenuineIntel fam6 mod8 P3 (Coppermine) step1 447.693 MHz and 256KB cache

When I start an xterm session from the gui (window mgr?) I get a white console with top left button like a PC and title bar (XTERM) and 4 icons on the top right of that window (roll up,min,max,X).

When I run "pppconfig" that window goes black and only one line shows up in yellow writing - scrolling up or down reveals 4 lines in total - only one at a time. It's a bit hard to use that to configure ppp. ANy idea wha is going on and why?

TIA,
/[:-)irK
PS: I used to look after VMS clusters and they where easy! Is there a dummy guide to Debian/Linux for VMS SysMgrs?????