Re: Lilo and smart array 5i

Just finnished a woody install on a machine *exactly* matching yours. No
end of headaches, but finaly got it going.

I used woody with 2.4.17 but should be the same. Basically what I did
was

Used the compaq smart start to set the bios system to support linux.
setup raid arrays etc.

Made a set of install disks
Made my own custom kernel and modules with the cciss driver compiled in
copied my kernel over the top of the boot disk kernel
booted with that disk and begun installation

when dbootstap said "cant find disk" I switched to terminal 2 and began
a login prompt.
Made all my /dev/cciss/c0d0 c0d0p1 etc. nodes with a mknod inside a for
loop
cfdisk /dev/cciss/c0d0
partitioned disks
mke2fs -j /dev... all the filesystems
mkswap for my swap partition
mounted the root fs partition on /target
mkdir'ed all the other parts
mounted them

switched back to alt-f1. debootstap recognised the disk was mounted and
I began the install. Everything went fine. When it came to installing
the module disks had to install the standard module disks then transfer
across my kernels modules (using alt-f2 again) so I could load the
ethernet device.

Finished install via network. Made boot disk (lilo failed to install
partition)

rebooted with boot disk. Made /dev/cciss nodes again in root filesystem.
Ran lilo. rebooted... still didn't boot

pressed f8 on startup and set primary boot device.

Booted! yay!

Heres my setup

bogey:~# lilo -V
LILO version 22.2

bogey:~# cat /etc/lilo.conf | grep -v ^#|grep -v ^$
lba32
boot=/dev/cciss/c0d0p1
root=/dev/cciss/c0d0p3
install=/boot/boot-menu.b
map=/boot/map
delay=20
vga=normal
default=Linux
image=/vmlinuz
	label=Linux
	read-only
image=/vmlinuz.old
	label=LinuxOLD
	read-only
	optional
image=/vmlinuz-original
	label=original
	read-only

I think you need a pretty new version of lilo. Woody has 22.2 which had
no problems.

I hope that helps somewhat. I know exactly what nightmare you are going
through... persevere. It is possible (except you'll probably want to do
nasty things to Compaq employees by the end ;)

Kind Regards
Crispin Wellington