Re: Wheel Mouse

    "Johan" == Johan Ehnberg <johan@ehnberg.net> writes:

    Johan> Hi!  Is there a good way to get my mouse wheel working
    Johan> (under X) on my woody?  Another thing I was wondering is
    Johan> why my mouse stops working under X when I install gpm.

Johan,

I have a Logitech USB wheel mouse. I have my mouse set up like this in
XF86Config-4 :

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/gpmdata"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
EndSection

The ImPS/2 mouse seems to support mouse buttons 4 and 5. To use this
you need to have GPM running in raw mode (or some mode where it
repeats data to /dev/gpmdata), so my /etc/gpm.conf reads:

device=/dev/input/mice
responsiveness=
repeat_type=raw
type=imps2
append=""
sample_rate=

I guess you could use /dev/psaux for a PS2 mouse and so on....

The reason X stops working when you install (rather, start) gpm is
that you probably have X and gpm reading off the same device.

You can solve this in two ways, one is to not run gpm in run levels
where X is running (basically remove all those S20gpm links in
/etc/rcN.d/ where N = 2...5, you can use update-rc.d to do this, or do
it by hand). I use this method on my laptop.

The other way is to make them play together, which is to use gpm to
repeat to /dev/gpmdata and read off there. Of course, if you lose gpm
then you lose your X mouse and so on......(you could have two mouse
entries in XF86Config-4, but I've found that makes my mouse move far
too quickly!).

Good luck,
Shyamal