Re: fun with printers

Andrew Agno declaimed:
> Paul Mackinney writes:
>  > I can print text from emacs, but when I print from Abiword or Mozilla,
>  > it spews page after page of what I assume is raw postscript code. I
>  > haven't found anything in the CUPS docs that covers this. Where to I
>  > start troubleshooting?
>
> If it's raw postscript, you'll just see text.  Is that what you get?
It looks like gibberish:

*~U@
/U@y
~*(
wU@pUP(
.
.
.

pages and pages and pages if I don't stop it.

> You can try to set Mozilla's print command
> (File->Print->Properties...) to lpr -P<your printer name>
> This works for me.
Failed for me.

> You can also try printing to a postscript file, then printing to your
> printer manually.
lpr foo.ps does the same.

And just now I reran the cups webadmin tool to set everything it, it
looks totally groovy, but when I try to print a test page nothing
happens at all.

I'm going to apt-get remove --purge all the cups packages and start
over, unless anyone can advise a more focussed procedure.

I'm really trying to do the minimal setup, I have one computer and one
printer. I configure the printer, specifying EPSON, Parallel Port #1,
and the foomatic stp-4.0 driver. My goal is basically to be able to
print from emacs and abiword with a vague notion of how the output will
look...

TIA, Paul
--
Paul Mackinney