Advice req on switching from static to dynamic IP ...

Greetings,

My ISP has recently switched their protocols, and as I am moving, I will
be required to give up my static IP in favor of a dynamic one (they now
only offer static IP's to bunsinesses). In any case, I have been told
that they use the pppOE protocol. I know that some changes will be
required in my networking set-up and have been archiving as many posts
as I am able regarding this. However, my setup is a tad ... ~bizarre~
... so I would like some advice.

I'm running 2.2r5 (stable w/ 2.2.20 kernel and some third party progs),
that was upgraded from a slink (2.1?) StormLinux distribution. All
networking components are stable. I have also downloaded Roaring Penguin
pppOE in anticipation of the switch.

When I initially setup my system, my IP, netmask, gateway, etc were
placed ~in~ the script run from /etc/init.d/. (I've attached copies of
the scripts involved).

--- begin insert /etc/init.d/network

#!/bin/sh

cat /proc/net/dev |grep : | cut -d : -f 1 | grep lo >/dev/null 2>&1

if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
   ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
   route add -net 127.0.0.0 netmask 255.0.0.0 dev lo
fi

IPADDR=10.169.239.186
NETMASK=255.255.255.248
NETWORK=10.169.239.0
GATEWAY=10.169.239.185

cat /proc/net/dev |grep : | cut -d : -f 1 | grep eth0 >/dev/null 2>&1

if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
   ifconfig eth0 ${IPADDR} netmask ${NETMASK}
   route add -net ${NETWORK} netmask ${NETMASK} dev eth0
   [ "${GATEWAY}" ] && route add default gw ${GATEWAY} metric 1
fi

--- end insert

At the time, I upgraded from a network install, so this info was either
entered at that time, or later through us of linuxconf. My
/etc/network/interfaces script (following) has only the line for my
loopback, whenever I have tried to enter info for my eth0 directly in
this file, I receive errors about duplicate networking configs (no
surprise there).

--- begin insert

# Used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8). See the interfaces(5) manpage or
# /usr/share/doc/netbase/examples for more information.
#

iface lo inet loopback

--- end insert

NOTE!!! I don't have either an 'ifup' or 'ifdown' script in the
/etc/init.d/ directory. I assume that networking is being handled
directly from the first script.

QUESTION - 1 !!!

My thought is that ~prior~ to installing my pppOE, I should rename the
/etc/init.d file so that it does not load, so that the only script
called is the /etc/network/interfaces script. Yes? No?

Also, as I will be using pppOE rather than dhcp, what changes will have
to be made to this file (if any). My box is rarely turned off, so I am
only concerned about my system coming up with ease whenever I am forced
to reboot (new kernel etc.).

QUESTION - 2 !!!

I will also no longer be forced to use the g*dawful hostname assigned by
my ISP, I would like to change my host (and domain) names to reflect a
future change in number of boxes and implementing of a home system. I
will eventually have a FQDN, but would like to use a version of that
now. Would a "home" or "sys" domain extension be appropriate or
conversely case problems? I have at least two files that contain my
current hostname (hostname and HOSTNAME); which should be changed.
I'm also assuming that those hosts should also be entered in my hosts
file to allow access to/from them.

I've also been assured by my ISP that my DNS entried will be unaffected
by the change (thanks for small favours).

Any help would be greatly appreciatoed.

C. Masters