php and ms access database advice

Hello, I've been searching for a solution and this link is the closest
I've come (nicely done by the way) though was wondering if someone here
had a more efficient execution to recommend.

http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/siddarth20000228.php3

Currently I have a few perl and php4 scripts writing data to text files
i.e. name; email; option a; or b; or c; etc.  I then pass the text files
to clients who have been recording the data into ms access.  Now they
want me to set it up such that the same data can be written directly to
an access.mdb.

I can follow the walkthrough; build a .mdb file with access's odbc data
source manager with the desired tables; create a user and pass to write
the new records passed by odbc_exec () to the file.  Then, when the
client wants the data I can pull it down and pass it to them as an mdb
instead of txt.

It seems simple enough though has someone here done this?  If so was
there solution secure?  I ask because the user referenced in the example
is root.
$cnx = odbc_connect( 'WebTute' , 'root', '' );

I'm not going to use root for this of course.  I also didn't see a file
path referenced so I'm suppose to drop the .mdb file in the same
directory as the php files?

Thanks for any advice on this.  Justin