Re: Help -- Scanner problem with MAKEDEV

* dave mallery (dmallery@cia-g.com) wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Mar 2002, Cam Ellison wrote:
>

> first, you have to be able to load a bunch of modules:
>
> alias char-major0180 usb-uhci
> pre-install usb-uhci
> alias usb-controller usb-uhci
> options scanner vendor=0x04B8 product=0x0110
>
> the options line above is for the epson 1650.
>
> if there is no /proc/bus/usb/devices, then you are missing usb support in
> your kernel.. the first three lines above will do that as long as there is
> usb support there.
>
> if you get this far, watch the dmesg for the usb detection and startup:
>
> usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xd400, IRQ 9
> usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
> usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
> hub.c: USB hub found
> hub.c: 2 ports detected
> usb-uhci.c: v1.251:USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver
> hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/2, assigned device number 2
> usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x4b8/0x110) is not claimed by any active
> driver.

In my case, it is ohci, since I have and AMD chip.  I did all this, and still got nowhere.  In desperation, I configured and compiled the 2.4.18 kernel, which I have been putting off doing for quite some time.  Now, I seem to have all the USB stuff working, and managed to do a scan.

My dmesg shows the following (sorry, this is a bit lengthy, though I've snipped parts out.  I don't know if this will help you, but here goes:

usb-ohci.c: USB OHCI at membase 0xcc81a000, IRQ 9
usb-ohci.c: usb-00:02.0, Acer Laboratories Inc. [ALi] M5237 USB
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
usb.c: kmalloc IF c13277e0, numif 1
usb.c: new device strings: Mfr=0, Product=2, SerialNumber=1
usb.c: USB device number 1 default language ID 0x0
Product: USB OHCI Root Hub
SerialNumber: cc81a000
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
<snip>
Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
USB Mass Storage support registered.
<snip>
hub.c: port 1 connection change
hub.c: port 1, portstatus 101, change 1, 12 Mb/s
hub.c: port 1, portstatus 103, change 10, 12 Mb/s
hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/1, assigned device number 2
usb.c: kmalloc IF c1327aa0, numif 1
usb.c: new device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
usb.c: USB device number 2 default language ID 0x409
Manufacturer: EPSON
Product: EPSON Scanner
usb.c: unhandled interfaces on device
usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x4b8/0x110) is not claimed by any active driver.
<snip>
usb.c: kusbd: /sbin/hotplug add 2
usb.c: kusbd policy returned 0xfffffffe

> now you will have arrived at the problem i have, which is visible in the
> last line of the above.  it was working perfectly just before a recent
> upgrade of the kernel (a minor 2.4.xx) and then it stopped..

There seems to be some similarity, in that both are reporting a device not claimed.  Mine is plugged into port 1 (I assume).  I have some modules that are not inserted, in anticipation of a new mouse (though with what the scanner cost, my wife would have a fit if i spent any more for a while).

> xsane (which was working perfectly) will report that it can't find any
> devices.

I haven't tried xsane yet, just sane (scanimage).

> one of the reasons i came to debian was to get more control over my
> software as illustrated above.  not there yet.

Nor I.  The kernel boots from the floppy, but lilo can't find /dev/hda1/boot.  Time to try grub, I guess.

Cheers  -- and thanks for the input.

Cam

--
Cam Ellison Ph.D. R.Psych.