Re: Disabling X from starting up

On Sat, Mar 23, 2002 at 10:11:18AM -0500, Trey Gruel wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Mar 2002, Silvester van der Bijl wrote:
>
> > Please help,
> >
> > I just installed debian, compiled a custom kernel and tried to reboot
> > the system.
> >
> > Everything works great, except X starts up. Since I didn't configure X
> > yet I get a garbled screen. I tried to exit by pressing
> > ALT+CTRL+BACKSPACE, but it seems it restarts every time.
> >
> > Does anyone now how to disable or abort the graphical login manager so I
> > can first configure it ?
>
> check your /etc/inittab.  it probably is setting you to runlevel 5 (xdm)
> with a line that looks like:
>
> id:5:initdefault:
>
> to boot up without x, change it to runlevel 3:
>
> id:3:initdefault:
>
> --
> trey

This is simply wrong. In Debian runlevels 2-5 are identical by
default. Stopping the Display manager is a FAQ, there are several ways
of doing it, including deinstalling it

apt-get remove [x|g|k]dm

or removing the startup scripts by the command update-rc.d, see man
update-rc.d

--
Note that I use Debian version 3.0
Linux emac140 2.4.17 #1 sön feb 10 20:21:22 CET 2002 i686 unknown

Hans Ekbrand