Network Card error

Hi list

I'm really new here, so if I left some information out that would help
you help me, please don't hesitate to ask me for the extra info, and
possibly how to obtain it.  This is sort of a two part problem. If the
first part has no solution, then I need help with the second part.

I'm trying to set up Debian as a router/firewall and having problems
with the NICs. I originally installed Potato, and have upgraded the
kernel to 2.4.17, adding in support for the NIC drivers as I go. For
hardware, I have:

eth0 is: SMC 1660t ISA, using driver ne2000, and connects to the
Internet via DSL DHCP.
eth1 was: DLink DFE-530TX, PCI, using driver Via Rhine.

When I would connect another PC (running Windows) to eth1, I would get
errors:

eth1: Oversized Ethernet frame spanned multiple buffers, entry 0x9
length 319 013f2810!
eth1: Oversized Ethernet frame c13d2090 vs c13d2090

After each error, the "frame" number in "ifconfig eth1" is incremented.

Typically I would get the error as soon as I connect the Ethernet cable,
or, on booting up the second PC, or sometimes just after pinging back
and forth a bit.  Sometimes after the frame buffer error, the link is
"dropped", so I have to type "ifdown eth1" then "ifup eth1" to
restablish the link between the computers.  MTU on the Windows machine
is set to 1500, but I've also tried 1428.

The above is the first problem.  Now for the second:

I thought that maybe the problem is the NIC used for eth1 (Dlink). So I
swapped it with an SMC 1211TX (PCI) from another computer, and I'm now
having problems getting Linux to boot with the drivers installed.

I compiled in the driver for RTL8139, and have tried both regular and
support for older 8129 cards.

When I can boot, with the RTL8139 not compiled in, I type lspci, I get:
"00:13.0 Ethernet controller Accton Technology Corporation SMC-1211TX
(rev 10)"

When I compile in support for RTL8139, the boot process hangs with "PCI:
Setting latency timer of device 00:13.0 to 64"

And that's where I stand.. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

--
  - Alan Poulton (apoulton@telus.net) -
Ever stop to think and then forget to start again?