Re: How to use SquirrelMail?

Rick Macdonald, Sat, Mar 16, 2002 at 03:05:45PM -0700:

> Here's what I do now:
>
> - run fetchmail to grab mail from a few different mail servers for deposit
>   locally for a few different users.
> - some local users running Windows/Netscape get their mail from my
>   machine; I run qpopper for this.
> - For one of the users (me) procmail sorts the mail into various mail
>   files.
> - I read my mail with pine, usually.
>
> When I'm away from home, I want to access my mail remotely, using web
> access. People seem to like SquirrelMail. I have apache and SM installed,
> but that's as far as I've gone.
>
> I can't figure out if SquirrelMail will use the existing mail folders that
> pine sees or not. I don't want SquirrelMail to fetch mail from anywhere to
> move anywhere else.
>
> I don't understand if IMAPs role is simply to serve up the mail to the
> remote client and allow deleting, moving to other folders, etc, or if it
> will want to replace my existing steps of fetchmail/procmail.
>
> Which IMAP package should I use?

Which IMAP server you choose will most likely be related to which SMTP
server you are using.  I qmail, so the IMAP server of choice is
courier-imap, as it supports maildirs.  The cyrus IMAP server seems to
be part of a larger package, but I've never used it.  Other choices are
wu-imapd and imap.

Each IMAP server has it's own format for specifying subfolders and the
like - I'm not sure how easy it is to make it read folders that are
outside that scope.  It might be easier to install it and create some
folders, then map your procmail scripts to those folders.

Also, if you are just looking for remote access to mail, why don't you
ssh into your home box and just use pine?  It's easy to get an ssh
client on most machines (use PuTTY.exe is you are stuck on a windows
box).

Brought to you by Debian 3.0
Linux took 2.4.16 #1 SMP Sat Jan 5 12:52:24 EST 2002 i686 unknown