Re: /etc/issue

--- Michael Kines <michaelkines@stargate.net> (2002-03-15 16:40):
> I accidentally erased my /etc/issue .
> Now, when I switch alt-ctrl f1, there is no
> indication of what tty I am on. Where can
> I get that back again? Thanks.

If you're interested in geting a file back, do "dpkg -S $file" (in your
case "dpkg -S /etc/issue") and it'll show you the package that installed
the file.  You can try a "dpkg-reconfigure $package" to see if
reconfiguring the package will reinstall the affected file.  If it
doesn't work, you can download the affected package and reinstall it
like this:

apt-get -d $package
cd /var/cache/apt/archives
dpkg -i $package

Then again, with something as simple as /etc/issue you could look at the
man page and create your own one.  Here's mine if you don't want to go
through all that effort :)

------
Debian GNU/\s 2.2 \n \l
------

Cheers,
Sean

--
Sean Quinlan (smq@gmx.co.uk)

I'm using Debian GNU/Linux Woody 3.0
Linux plato 2.4.16 #1 Sat Dec 8 22:01:29 GMT 2001 i686 unknown