[ALMOST Solved] Re: Wheel mouse

On Saturday 09 March 2002 18:13, Stephen Ryan wrote:
> > But the "device" in XF86Config-4 is "/dev/mouse" which in fact is a
> > link to /dev/gpmdata. I'm completely puzzled... I'll try to look
> > for and read about the relationships between gpm and the xserver.
> > Thanks for your help !
>
> Aha!  This makes no end of sense.  Your mouse is plugged into the
> PS/2 port, and gpm gets the input from it via /dev/psaux.  gpm then
> converts the input from the mouse into Microsoft mouse format and
> passes it on to X via /dev/mouse aka /dev/gpmdata.  Since it is the
> Microsoft mouse format, X goes insane when you specify the IMPS/2
> protocol, which looks nothing like the Microsoft mouse protocol, and
> the scroll wheel never works, because the Microsoft mouse protocol
> doesn't support them.
>
> The fix should be simple - reconfigure gpm and change the repeat type
> from "ms3" to "raw", which should then just pass on everything via
> /dev/gpmdata to X.  You then change the X configuration back to
> IMPS/2, which will then correctly recognize the scroll wheel.

Well, I've changed

gpm -m /dev/psaux -t ps2 -Rms3

gpm -m /dev/psaux -t autops2 -Rraw

> In either case, you then change the X configuration back to IMPS/2
> and set the ZAxisMapping and Emulate3Buttons lines as suggested
> before, which will then correctly recognize the scroll wheel because
> it's getting the raw data from the mouse, including the scroll wheel
> events.

And here comes the funniest part: either I set the protocol to
"NetMousePS/2" or "IMPS/2", the wheel now works... ONLY FORWARDS !!
I mean, the scroll works as sliding down the scrollbar, not as
sliding up.
After spending (investing?) the whole evening trying to hack this (and
some audio issues and a little perl script), I consider my hacking day
finished. Now it's time for a beer, perhaps tomorrow I'll have more
luck.

Thanks everybody for your help !!

--
Daniel Toffetti     ---     'There is no spoon...' - The Matrix

Running the bleeding edge Debian Sid version 3.0
Linux luni 2.4.13 #1 SMP Sun Oct 28 18:30:53 ART 2001 i686 unknown